Sunday, September 9, 2012

Eyeshadow Primer 101

     Hello Dolls!!! Today I am doing a VERY Important blog post, and it is about eyeshadow primer. I thought it would be more appropriate to do this post before I start talking about eyeshadow in general.

     What is eyeshadow primer? It is a product that prevents your eyeshadow from creasing throughout the day, and helps the eyeshadow look more vibrant.

     I apply it every single day I wear any eye makeup, like eyeliner or eyeshadow even sparkles!!! I personally believe eyeshadow primer is the most important primer to use. (There are face primers, lip primers, and mascara primers everywhere. )

     Eyeshadow primer can make the cheapest eyeshadow work and look higher quality than it actually is. I find that super glittery and shimmery shadows crease the most often, and matte shadows are harder to blend and apply. What an eyeshadow primer does is make an even canvas for your eye shadows and liners and helps it not crease with normal day to day eye movements.

     The easiest and cheapest ways to prime your eyes will be putting foundation or concealer on your lids then setting it with your face powder. Now that helps the staying power of the shadow last a little bit longer, and is great if you are just starting out with makeup. However, an actual primer you buy at Ulta or Sephora will be more beneficial to you.



    Now, I have a favorite and it is called the Urban Decay Primer Potion, and it is beyond wonderful! It really is a cult favorite, and they came out with some many amazing ones from the original to oily eyelids to reducing redness. It is a bit pricey at $20, but It has lasted me since May of 2011, until now and I still have about two months left in the tube. You really only need a little bit, and it goes a long way. They always have mini ones in their eyeshadow sets, so I say get that to test it out.

     The "rival" primer would be the Too Faced Shadow Insurance is another cult favorite! It does the exact same thing as the UD one. The Too Faced Shadow Insurance also comes with Glitter Glue primer that helps your glitters to adhere and last longer(not everyday use). It comes with ones for oily eyelids to reducing redness as well. I think it is $18  , but you can usually get a full size in one of their Holiday Gift sets, that's how I got my original Shadow Insurance.  I just started using it, and I love it just like my UD one. I am giving my friend the UD one to try out, so if she wants she can invest in it.

(I can't choose between the UD and Too Faced!! Love them both!)

     I personally feel like you need to buy a high end eyeshadow primer. Drugstores just don't do it for me, I've tried the L'oreal Decrease and it is half the size for half the price of the UD Primer Potion and it does not even work like it should. If you are to invest in one thing, I say eyeshadow primer. It can make the chalkiest and cheapest shadow look and last better quality. By using primer, you don't have to touch up your makeup throughout the day, and believe me I hate touching that up. Once you use shadow primer, you will never go back to plain eyelids. Because you can really see the difference once you go back.

     There are so many primers out there, the Primer Potion and Shadow Insurance are the most talked about though. NARS, Chanel, LORAC, Kat Von D, Tarte and many more brands make eyeshadow primers as well. The most common are UD and Shadow Insurance I find amongst teens and younger adults.

     If all my make up disappeared it would be the first thing I would by. Like always, leave a comment for questions, requests, and if you use or would use an eye shadow primer. If you already use one, what's your favorite?

Be a Bombshell Baby,
Kelsecate

FTC: I purchased all these products and these are my own opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I use the UD primer and I totally agree with you that it is my FAVORITE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I was living before with out it!

      Delete